Wednesday 14 September 2011

Feeling like Spider-Man

Created in ArtRage Studio Pro

Things are happily hectic these days. Consider this a report-card on my independent commission-career.

My wife is awesome, our baby is happy (except for the teething) and we've managed to spend some really good times with our nephew this summer.

Career-wise, thanks to Symbiartic on Scientific American, I've interviewed a ton of really fascinating people involved in the art+science intersection and have no end in sight to new posts for that blog. It's a real science-art movement, and I'm lucky enough to be a part of it.

I've been attempting to be less precious with my artwork, and dive into more sketches. The Flying Trilobite has been great to just put up my little scratches.

Lately the thing I'm most excited about are the opportunities that are popping up from so many unexpected places. Thanks to everyone who's thinking about me and my artwork for being inspired enough to want to work with me.  It keeps me going.

Like Spider-Man, I've recently begun meeting and collaborating with more and more super-people in the arts and sciences.

I have to be careful though.

Some exhaustion is setting in.  4 part-time jobs. I'm currently workin
g an entry-level retail position with a lot of part-time hours to help pay the bills. I'm still doing social media (Twitter) work for a major national retail brand and hoping to add more clients like that so I can potentially stay home with the baby and work from home. Symbiartic is a blast, and I'm giving that my all. I have a couple of exciting science-art commissions right now. And I'll be giving another talk on science-art and blogging at Harbourfront here in Toronto next month.

Like Spider-Man, I have the ability to do some spectacular things, but the fridge is all-too often empty since spectacular abilities don't always pay the bills.

Despite the 4 part-time jobs, money is really tight at home and each month is a challenge. It's easy to lose focus on what's next. My big hope at the moment is to take on 3-4 new social media clients like the one I'm already doing, and let go of the retail. Then, evenings and weekends open up for Symbiartic and commissioned illustration.

Recently, a good talk with my wife's uncle let me really step back and look at the big picture again, which is why I'm excited for the future. I've been so focused on the immediate need to literally feed my family and keep the lights on, I was losing sight of how far I've come. Thanks to everyone for your support.

I'm expecting amazing things from myself in the near future, so you can too.


- - - - - - - -


Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.

Portfolio
Blog
Print Shop 

--> Find me on Symbiartic, the art+science blog on the new Scientific American Blog Network!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's rough but I know you'll be able to pull it off, my friend! Just know your limits!

BTW- I'm glad to see that the family and you are doing great for the most part, man! :)

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Raptor!

types of hypnosis said...

It seems that everything and everyone is truly enjoying their summer.

Great piece of art by the way.

Sharon said...

Desperate for money and health insurance, my husband and I recently both had to give in and take full-time jobs completely unrelated to our fields of interest/degrees. Tough times. I'm hoping the best for you just as much as I am for myself...stay inspired!

P.S. I don't comment much, but I'm very much enjoying your posts at Symbiartic as well.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Sharon!

It does almost seem like a new creative-class is erupting that has little to do with traditional avenues of revenue. Soon, we'll all be working in coal mines and tweeting our dreams back up to the surface.

Or, it will be like Joseph Hewitt suggests.

Hang in there though too. It's not easy to make that decision, and I'm finding its also hard to climb out of. I'm working so much at the p/t job, I can't look for anything else right now.

And thanks for the kind words about Symbiartic, Sharon.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |