Sunday 19 December 2010

WIP: Anomalocarid Girl

A work-in-progress.  Anomalocarid Girl is a character and foil for Trilobite Boy.  Painting this one in ArtRage, similar to Trilobite Boy and gargoyles.


Screen capture of my process in ArtRage.
The sketch below has changed a bit since.  Not a lot of people know what an anomalocaris is, so I've added two leaping out of the water, one on either side of the character. One leaping so the dorsal side is visible, the other so its ventral side is showing. Hopefully that will help to identify the similarity of her dress and gloves to this extinct animal.

I also think I'll be basing the face off of a real person and at 300 dpi, I'll be able to get in there and work on some nice detail.
 


Sketch loosely based on Bottecelli's Birth of Venus


Below is the first colour-pass, a kind of under-layer so future layers of transparent colour (or missed spots) will have a foundation.


Happy with the clouds on the right, I think.

I've got a rough story outline for Trilobite Boy which I hope to debut in the new year. 


There have been other failed attempts at painting this character in the past, but I'm really excited about how the story and this image are coming along.  Criticisms and questions welcome though!

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.

Portfolio
Blog
Print Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |