Foundation Beyond Belief's mission:
To demonstrate humanism at its best by supporting efforts to improve this world and this life; to challenge humanists to embody the highest principles of humanism, including mutual care and responsibility; and to help and encourage humanist parents to raise confident children with open minds and compassionate hearts.
Open minds and compassionate hearts = awesome.
I came to identify as an atheist reluctantly; the appeal of an afterlife is really strong to me. Perhaps that's something I share with many artists of the past, a hope for a type of near-immortality after death. However much I wish something to be true, it doesn't change what is true. It's rare that I discuss my beliefs plainly and directly on this blog, choosing to show my understanding of the world through science and some paintings dealing with atheism.
One of the founders of Foundation Beyond Belief is Dale McGowan. I worked on a blog banner for Dale in 2008, but I was a fan of his witty, insightful writing about child-raising and communication before that (which helped make the work such a treat!). His book, Parenting Beyond Belief taught me a lot about different ways to raise a freethinking happy child. I trust Dale, and can't wait to see what the Foundation is going to be able to do with support.
Here is some more about Foundation Beyond Belief, and please check out their website.
- Foundation Beyond Belief is a non-profit charitable and educational foundation created (1) to focus, encourage and demonstrate the generosity and compassion of atheists and humanists, and (2) to provide a comprehensive education and support program for nontheistic parents.
- The Foundation will feature ten charitable organizations per quarter.
- Members join by signing up for a monthly automatic donation in the amount of their choice, and distribute it however they wish among the categories. Contributions are fully tax-deductible.
- Members can join a social network and forums centered on the ten categories of giving, advocate for causes, and help us choose new beneficiaries each quarter.
- Featured beneficiaries may be founded on any worldview so long as they do not proselytize. At the end of each quarter, 100 percent of the donations are forwarded and a new slate of beneficiaries selected.
- On the educational side, the Foundation will help create and fund local groups for the education and social support of humanist/atheist parents.
Happy New Year everyone!
- - - - - - - -
Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.
Flying Trilobite Gallery *** Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ***