Monday 28 September 2009

Art Monday: 1st school assignment so far

Here's what I've been working on so far for school.

Our drawing studio class has a simple structure. 1st class,presentation of the assignment. 2nd class, present progress so far and work on it. 3rd class, class and instructor critique. That's tomorrow, and the final is much further along than you can see here.
Hand sowing flax seeds and fossils.

We are to do a drawing about the York U landscape. Our professor has an evident love for nature (he came to the first class with a list from the environmental studies program of every catalogued species found on campus), and so I got to thinking about York's deeper history. Like much of Southern Ontario, marine fossils can be found. Or would be. Most of York's campus was once farmland, and any larger sized rocks are gone from the soil. The rest is landfill. There's no rocky outcroppings anywhere.Ammonite shell sprouting flax flowers (incomplete).

So I have also done a shale drawing of an ammonite. I'll show that with the final next week.

My project has also gone in an unexpected direction after last week's group discussion about works in progress. I'll find out tomorrow if I'm pushing it too far from the literal I had started with.
Flax seed sprouting cephalopod.


The final is being matte medium transferred onto beechwood supports, and over-layed with mylar containing notations. I've also layered a couple of the wood supports with pumice stone medium to give it a rocky feel.

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.

Flying Trilobite Gallery *** Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ***

5 comments:

traumador said...

the ammonites floating in the air like a seed, conjures a feeling of a lingering memory to me. ammonites couldn't have floated at any stage in its existence (whether in its "lighter" organic days or the way "heavier" rock like fossil stage for those ammonites lucky enough to have endured to the present), but yet the idea or meme of them does amongst us who know of them...

hows that for art anaylsis? could i join your class :P

Glendon Mellow said...

Poetic! We'll have to see after tomorrow if that counts as analysis in this class. ;-)

Not far off though. My prject feels like a confused dream of the university grounds' past. Or a sci-fi mash-up masquerading as higher art. Like all my work it's one and the other.

Mike Haubrich, FCD said...

My damn, Son! You have developed a recognizable style and stroke. I love these sketches, and the way you combine seemingly discordant concepts into one. Great work.

Glendon Mellow said...

Ive added flax flowers to the middle one.

I'll try to get some good photos up on this whole thing for Monday.

Thanks Mike!

arts school said...

your drawing is great, I like your pencil arts.using the simple lines to show the floating arts.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |