Saturday 9 February 2008

more than scribbles in the margin?

The Flying Trilobite's 1st Blog Award!

The headmistress of The Free Range Academy has bestowed upon The Flying Trilobite's humble cephalon the E for Excellent Blog Award!

This is a pay-it-forward meme of sorts, as well as an award. In accepting it, it needs to also be granted to ten blogs chosen by the recipient. This is tough: I'm adding to my blogroll all the time.

I'd love to grant it back to The Free Range Academy if I could. If you love reading about parenting, science and the myriad experiences growing up in Ontario offers to kids, you gotta check this site out. Leslie's Blog is another vibrant community drawn to Leslie Hawes, artist & personality. However, since Leslie granted the award to The Free Range Academy, I will leave them off my list of ten. Presenting in no particular order...

I solemnly swear to grant the E for Excellent Blog Award to:

1. Fresh Brainz - For a blog about neuroscience and rationality to be so eclectic and wild and just plain bonkers, I need to grant this award to where my brain goes for a freakout.

2. Life Before Death - Reflective, sensible, insightful, witty and recently, frequent photos of the bees the author keeps.

3. Traumador the Tyrannosaur - written from the point of view of a Canadian ex-patriot living in New Zealand. Oh and he's an extra-small tyrannosaur. There needs to be a movie with videogame tie-in. And action figures.

4. Retrospectacle - I know Shelley Batts' blog is ending/spawning soon. What is it about neuroscience students that makes them so well-informed about weird things that really matter? Needs another award.

5. Sentient Developments - serious, thoughtful, and about nothing less than humanity's future, this blog is strange and vital.

6. Jesse Graham's Art - J. Graham's art is playful and tiptoes up behind you with the kind of drawings you wish you'd thought of. A talent unfettered by narrative.

7. Metamagician & the Hellfire Club - smart, concise, and the type of writing that needs no pictures. For freethinkers, science-types and Russell Blackford's groupies.

8. Olduvai George - The art of Carl Buell, no longer being updated regularly. I don't care; this blog is the gateway I rush through there to see what new stuff materializing in Carl's Flickr account. Real extinct artiodactyls make the concept of a unicorn look just lazy.

9. Zooillogix - captions so funny it actually makes me snort espresso out my nose. And it's about zoology.

10. Page 3.14 - I never know what I'm going to find here. And I really look forward to finding it. SEED magazine's editors know how to interview and uncover the things you didn't know you wanted to know.

Please enjoy the awards! Mine will sit on my mantle, next to my trilobite fossils and favourite paint brush I had dipped in gold. (It doesn't spread the paint as well as it once did, but -man alive!- it can keep it's tip pointy...)

10 comments:

Humble said...

"Headmistress"...cool...I feel business cards coming on....

Jesse Graham said...

Hey Glendon! Thanks so much for the "E for excellent blog award" I appreciate it so much man and I love the comment you said about my stuff. Means a lot. Thanks.

Glendon Mellow said...

You're welcome, Jesse!

Anonymous said...

Scribbles in the margin? Like that really great header 'scribble'?
Congrats on the award!

Felicia said...

Thanks for the mention, I'm honoured. :) I don't know if I'll be able to accept it though as putting together a list seems like it'll be very difficult...

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Leslie! Scribble is a great word. Good onomatopoeia-qualities.

And you're welcome Felicia! The list was difficult. Do any of the bees have bee-blogs? You could grant it to them. You know, dances in the hive that are noteworthy.

It's always interesting to me that widgets make it so easy for people to find out their blogs are mentioning you.

traumador said...

wow an award...

if i'd known i'd have rented a tux and written an acceptance speech...

wish at moment i had better access to the internet (i'm stealing a friend's puter for a sec right now) so i could notice this sooner...

do i nominate people on mine now? i've never been noticed by the blogosphere before... so i don't know how these sort of things work...

Glendon Mellow said...

It's not too late Traumador!

You can put it into your sidebar for fun, and the idea is to nominate others in return before you accept it. Kind of a friendly chain-meme thing, I'd say.

You'd look smart in a tux.

The Key Question said...

Wow, Fresh Brainz is first on the list!

Thanks Glendon, it's a great honour to receive this award from you.

Sorry for my late response - I'm under intense pressure to stop blogging, at least for the rest of the year while I struggle through the remaining benchwork.

I'll do my best to update, however the posts will unavoidably end up looking even more random. Luckily that's an expected feature! Whew!

Glendon Mellow said...

Lim:

You mean blogging is not a full-time career for you?!

Your blog is always smart (intelligent, genius-y, brilliant etc.) and funny. You're welcome!

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |